Scholarship Funds for Film Industry Internships


The Department of Theatre, Film, and Media Arts is proud to offer scholarships designed to support student’s participation in internship opportunities in the film industry. 

Funds will be awarded to selected applicants upon confirmation of participation and enrollment in an approved film-industry internship experience.

Eligibility: Competition is open to undergraduate students currently enrolled on the Columbus campus with a declared major in an Arts and Sciences discipline, a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or higher, and an approved internship in the film industry.

Funds only awarded after proof of participation in internship; funds contingent on enrollment for internship credit hours at The Ohio State University (FILMSTD 4191, FILMSTD 5193, MVNGIMG 4191, THEATRE 4191).


Brian Mehling Endowment Fund for Film Industry Internships

Established by Dr. Brian Mehling (BA 1989, MS 1994), this fund helps students from the College of Arts and Sciences to cover living expenses while participating in summer film industry internships. [Fund Number: 644811]

Charles and Susan Newirth Innovation Fund in Moving-Image Production

Established in November 2019 by film producer and OSU alumni Charles Newirth (BA, 1977) and Susan Newirth, this fund is used to provide funding to students in Moving Image Production who shows strong academic merit and a demonstration of financial need. Scholarships may be used for experiential learning opportunities including internship support. Charles Newirth's producing credits include the films Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings, Ant-Man and the Wasp, Dr. Strange and Iron Man 3 for Marvel Studios and Disney.


Documents required to apply for internship funding:

1) Film Internship Funding Application – PDF link: 

Application document includes personal application information, internship information, contact information for academic references (faculty member, instructor, or advisor), and projected budget for internship.

2) Personal Statement (500-words)

In a separate document, write a 500-word statement as outlined below. Include header in the upper right-hand corner of your personal statemen, with First name, last name.# / Mehling Application

  • Describe how receiving the Mehling Endowment Fund for Internships in the Film Industry would enhance your studies or achievement of an academic goal. 
  • List and discuss the internship(s) you are planning to pursue and how that experience will help you excel in your academic and professional goals. 
  • Describe how you have demonstrated academic excellence, leadership and service within and outside the university during your time at Ohio State. 
  • If you have other academic or recent life experiences relevant to a merit and/or need-based scholarship (e.g. participation in “Big Brothers/Big Sisters” or other service organizations), or any special circumstances or reasons why you should be considered for a scholarship from the College of Arts and Sciences, please describe them.

3) Advising Report

  • Go to BuckeyeLink, login with OSU credentials, then go to the Enrollment and Academic History section of the page to generate your advising report.

4) Proof of Internship

  • Provide evidence of internship, with contact information of internship company/contact and dates of internship.

5) Save all documents and combine as one PDF.

  • Document must be saved and named in the following format: 

Send complete packet to Academic Program Coordinator Paige Piper at: by deadlines listed below.

Late OR INCOMPLETE submissions will not be accepted or considered for funding.

Application Deadlines for AY 2021-22

SUMMER 2021 SEMESTER, DEADLINE: Friday, April 30, 2021, 5:00 p.m.

FALL 2021 / SPRING 2022 SEMESTER, DEADLINE: Friday, August 13, 2021, 5:00 p.m.