The Department of Theatre, Film, and Media Arts is proud to offer scholarships designed to support student’s participation in internship opportunities in the film industry.
Funds will be awarded to selected applicants upon confirmation of participation and enrollment in an approved film-industry internship experience.
Eligibility: Competition is open to undergraduate students currently enrolled on the Columbus campus with a declared major in an Arts and Sciences discipline, a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or higher, and an approved internship in the film industry.
Funds are awarded to the student's bursar account after proof of participation in a qualifying internship. Funding is contingent on enrollment for internship credit hours at The Ohio State University (FILMSTD 4191, FILMSTD 5193, MVNGIMG 4191, THEATRE 4191).
Brian Mehling Endowment Fund for Film Industry Internships
Established by Dr. Brian Mehling (BA 1989, MS 1994), this fund helps students from the College of Arts and Sciences to cover associated costs and living expenses while participating in summer film industry internships. [Fund 644811]
Charles and Susan Newirth Innovation Fund in Moving-Image Production
Established in November 2019 by film producer and OSU alumni Charles Newirth (BA, 1977) and Susan Newirth, this fund is used to provide funding to students in Moving Image Production who shows strong academic merit and a demonstration of financial need. Scholarships may be used for experiential learning opportunities including internship support. Charles Newirth's producing credits include the films Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings, Ant-Man and the Wasp, Dr. Strange and Iron Man 3 for Marvel Studios and Disney.
APPLY FOR INTERNSHIP FUNDING:
All documents required to apply for funding:
1) Film Internship Funding Application – PDF link:
Application document includes personal application information, internship information, contact information for academic references (faculty member, instructor, or advisor), and projected budget for internship.
2) Personal Statement (500-words)
In a separate document, write a 500-word personal statement as outlined below. Include a header in your document with "First name, last name.# / Scholarship Application"
- Describe how receiving funding for an internship in the Film Industry would enhance your studies or achievement of an academic goal.
- List and discuss the internship(s) you are planning to pursue and how that experience will help you excel in your academic and professional goals.
- Describe how you have demonstrated academic excellence, leadership and service within and outside the university during your time at Ohio State.
- If you have other academic or recent life experiences relevant to a merit and/or need-based scholarship (e.g. participation in social, academic, and service organizations), or any special circumstances or reasons why you should be considered for a scholarship.
3) Advising Report
- In BuckeyeLink, login with your OSU credentials, then go to the Enrollment and Academic History section of the page to generate and download an advising report, to be included with application.
4) Proof of Internship
- Provide evidence of internship, with contact information of internship company/supervisor and dates of internship.
5) Save all documents and combine as one PDF.
- Document must be saved and named in the following format: