Cornett and Ahmed featured in 2021 "Unorthodocs" short film event
Department of Theatre, Film, and Media Arts' Rasel Ahmed and Lydia Cornett were featured in the "Unorthodocs" short film streaming event and filmmaker talk on October 22, 2021.
The event, a crash course in the contemporary documentary, featured short films from up-and-coming filmmakers and established artists working in a dizzying range of forms and tones.
Among this year’s highlights was the Ohio premiere of Columbus filmmaker, Ohio State Art MFA student, and MIP graduate teaching associate Lydia Cornett’s film Party Line, a portrait of the voters waiting at the Franklin County early voting station on Morse Road during the polarized 2020 election.
Director Rasel Ahmed, Post-MFA filmmaker in Ohio State’s Department of Theatre, Film, and Media Arts, was also featured with the adventurous Who Killed Taniya?, a speculative remake of an underground queer drag show in Dhaka, Bangladesh.
Cornett and Ahmed hosted a Q&A after the screening of their films.
The full "Unorthodocs" program lineup included short films:
- This Is an Address (Sasha Wortzel, 2019, 18 mins.)
- Party Line (Lydia Cornett, 2021, 7 mins.)
- BABYBANGZ (Juliana Kasumu, 2021, 11 mins.)
- The Beauty President (Whitney Skauge, 2021, 9 mins.)
- Slap That Bass Zoomed (Ian Garwood, 2020, 5:30 mins.)
- The Rifleman (Sierra Pettengill, 2021, 18 mins.)
- Who Killed Taniya? (Rasel Ahmed, 2020, 18:30 mins.)