Joseph V. Denney Designated Professor of English and Director of Popular Culture Studies
he/him/his and they/them/theirs
546 Denney Hall
164 Annie & John Glenn Ave
Columbus OH, 43210
Areas of Expertise
- Popular culture studies
- Film studies and film history
- Digital Cinema
- American literature
- Comics studies
- Narrative theory
- Medical humanities
- Ph.D., Johns Hopkins University, 1994
- B.A., Amherst College, 1987
Jared Gardner is Joseph V. Denney Designated Professor of English, specializing in American literature, comics, film and popular culture. Gardner is the author of Master Plots: Race and the Founding of an American Literature, 1787-1845; Projections: Comics and the History of 21st-century Storytelling; and The Rise and Fall of Early American Magazine Culture. Prof. Gardner also serves as director of the Popular Culture Studies program at Ohio State and is a frequent collaborator with the Billy Ireland Cartoon Library & Museum.
- Master Plots: Race and the Founding of an American Literature, 1787-1845. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press, 1998.
- The Rise and Fall of Early American Magazine Culture. Chicago: University of Illinois Press, 2012.
- Projections Comics and the History of Twenty-First-Century Storytelling. Stanford: Stanford Univ. Press, 2012.
- The Comics of Charles Schulz: The Good Grief of Modern Life, edited with Ian Gordon. Oxford: University of Mississippi Press, 2017.
- Other books