The Film Studies minor allows students to unite classes devoted to the analysis of cinema both as a unique art form in its own right, and as a medium influenced and shaped by related fields such as literature and the visual arts. Students enrolled in the Film Studies minor will gain an understanding of the evolution of cinema, the relations between film and other arts, and the international dimensions of the medium. Courses eligible for credit in the minor are housed under units such as: East Asian, English, French and Italian, Film Studies, German, History of Art, Slavic/Eastern European, Spanish and Portuguese, and Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies. See below or download the Film Studies Minor Sheet [pdf] for minor requirements.
The minor in film studies requires the completion of one of the introductory courses. The introductory course must be completed before the declaration of the minor and, as with other minor course work; a grade of C- or above is required. While the minor may include courses from the introductory list, at least 6 of the 12 credit hours must be at the 3000 level or above. After completion of the introductory course, the student must meet with the Film Studies Program advisor to plan the minor coursework. After the coursework has been approved, the student may declare the minor in the college/school office.
From an extensive list of available classes, you will need to select a minimum of 12 credit hours of courses.
Once the minor program has been completed, students must file a Checklist for Minor [doc] form with the Film Studies Program office. For further information about the minor program, or if you need a disability accessible format, please email the Film Studies Program or contact the office at 150 Hagerty Hall.
General Information on Minor Programs
- Minor programs are not required for graduation.
- A student may not take a major and a minor in the same subject.
- Courses used on the minor may not be used for the major.
- Where appropriate, overlap between the GE and a minor is permissible unless specifically disallowed for an individual minor.
- All minors require a minimum of 12 credit hours; some require more.
- Transfer credit hours allowed. No more than one half of the credit hours required on the minor.
- No Film Studies minor course can be repeated without preapproval from the Film Studies Program office.
- When students complete more than one minor, each minor must contain a minimum of 12 unique hours.
- No grade below a C- will be permitted in courses comprising the minor; the minimum of 12 unique hours.
- Courses taken on a Pass/Non-Pass basis may not be applied to the minor.
- Some minors need individual approval by a faculty member; others do not.
- Students need not file their minor programs until they file their graduation applications.
- Once a minor program is on file in the college/school office, any changes must be discussed with the faculty adviser and/or the college/school counselor.
*If you began the minor before Winter 2012, please contact an advisor.
[doc] - Some links on this page are to .doc files. If you need these files in a more accessible format, please contact email@example.com.
[pdf] - Some links on this page are to .pdf files. You need Adobe Acrobat Reader to read these files.